The objective of the conference is to further our understanding from an empirical perspective of developments in China and other transition economies (e.g. Russia, CIS, Eastern Europe, Vietnam) in the areas of the measurement of growth, productivity and other macroeconomic aggregates, as well as income distribution.
A second objective is to deepen the debate related to the implications for China and other transition economies of the current SNA update. Selected papers from the conference will be published in a theme issue of the Review of Income and Wealth.
Specific topics suggested for the conference sessions are:
- Plenary sessions:
– Issues for National Accounting in Countries in Transition
– Wealth and Income Inequality in Transition Countries
- Parallel sessions:
– Growth accounting, TFP, measurement of capital and labour
– Deflation: systems of price and volume measurement
– Non-observed economy
– Poverty: definitions useful for policy-makers in transition countries
– Measuring market and government services in transition countries
– Regional accounts: conceptual and measurement issues
– Quarterly accounts: conceptual and measurement issues
– Globalisation: measurement of foreign trade and foreign investment
– Aging: policy issues for transition countries
– Construction and use of input-output tables in transition countries
– Revision of the SNA 93: issues relevant for transition countriesIARIW members and other researchers interested in organizing a session or presenting a paper at the conference on a topic related to the conference theme are invited to submit a proposal for a session or an individual paper.To submit a session proposal, provide a description of the theme and objectives for the session and include the names and affiliations of the chair and paper givers as well as the title of the session and of the papers.Proposals for sessions and abstracts for individual papers should be emailed to IARIW Executive Director Andrew Sharpe at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31, 2007 Abstracts for the papers in the proposed session will be required at a later date.
Some financial assistance is available. If assistance is needed, please indicate in the proposal.